In a tragic incident, four elephants including a calf reportedly died due to electrocution at agricultural fields in Parvathipuram Manyam district, Andhra Pradesh. The incident reportedly took place in the early hours of Friday.
On Friday, villagers discovered four dead elephants near an unprotected electric transformer. Locals informed police and forest department officials, who raced to the village and began an investigation.
According to the news sources, the villagers said, the elephants were found dead near the transformer in the village. They believe the elephants died after coming into touch with the transformer.
Officials believe that the dead elephants were part of a troop of six tuskers that wandered into the Parvathipuram-Manyam area from nearby Odisha state.
Four elephants died due to Electrocution:
#AndhraPradesh:Four elephants, including a baby elephant, met an untimely demise due to electrocution at the agricultural fields in Bathili, a town in Bhamini Mandal of Parvathipuram Manyam district. The incident occurred in the early hours of Friday. pic.twitter.com/o1WA22FPe1
— NewsMeter (@NewsMeter_In) May 12, 2023
It was a sobering reminder of the dangers of sharing our environment with these majestic creatures, as well as the need of doing all possible to preserve them.