The University Grants Commission (UGC) declared 24 ‘self styled’ universities as fake. It identified that two more institutes were violating the norms.
Surprisingly, the Education Minister Dharmendra Pradhan declared 24 universities as fake.
Education Minister on Fake Universities in India
Mr. Pradhan responded to a written question in Lok Sabha. In his statement, he said, based on the complaints received from the students, parents, general public and also through electronic print media, UGC has declared 24 ‘self styled’ institutes as fake universities.
Besides, two more Institutes namely Bhartiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow, UP and Indian Institute of Planning and Management (IIPM), Qutub Enclave, New Delhi are also found functioning in violating of the UGC Act, 1956.
The matters of Bharatiya Shiksha Parishad, Lucknow and IIPM, New Delhi are sub-judice in the court” added Mr. Pradhan.
List of Fake Universities in India
Uttar Pradesh has the highest number of fake universities.
There are eight such universities.
- Varanaseya Sanskrit Vishwavidyalaya, Varanasi.
- Mahila Gram Vidyapith, Allahabad.
- Gandhi Hindi Vidyapith.
- National University of Electro Complex Homeopathy, Kanpur.
- Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose Open University, Aligarh.
- Uttar Pradesh Vishwavidyalaya, Mathura.
- Maharana Pratap Shiksha Niketan Vishwavidyalaya, Pratapgarh.
- Indraprastha Shiksha Parishad, Noida.
Fake Universities in Delhi
There are seven such fake universities in Delhi
- Commercial University Ltd.
- United Nations University
- Vocational University
- ADR Centric Juridicial University
- Indian Institution of Science and Engineering
- Vishwakarma Open University for Self Employment
- Adhyatmik Vishwavidyalaya ( Spiritual University)
West Bengal and Odisha have two fake Universities each.
- Indian Institute of Alternative Medicine
- Kolkata and Institute of alternative Medicine and Research
- Nababharat Shiksha Parishad
- Rourkela and North Orissa University of Agriculture and Technology
Karnataka, Kerala, Maharashtra, Puducherry and Andhra Pradesh have one fake university each.
- Sree Bodhi Academy of Higher Education, Puducherry.
- Christ New Testament Deemed University, Andhra Pradesh.
- Raja Arabic University, Nagpur.
- St. John’s University, Kerala
- Badaganvi Sarkar World Open University Education Society, Karnataka.
Steps Taken by UGC
Mr. Pradhan said that the UGC is taking elaborate steps against the fake or non-recognized Universities. Furthermore, the list of fake universities or institutes are published in National Hindi and English newspapers.
He added that, the commission writes letters to state chief secretaries, Education secretaries and principal secretaries to take action such universities located in their jurisdiction.
However, Show cause and warning notices are issued to the unauthorized institutes awarding invalid degrees when any self-styled institution is found or noticed functioning in violation of the UGC Act, 1956.