The world’s largest central armed force, CRPF has recorded 10 suicides by jawans in the last 23 days across states. These suicides have prompted the officers at the top levels to decide that the supervising officer where such deaths are reported shall face repercussions in their annual performance appraisal report.
According to News 18, This year from 12th August to 4th September 10 jawans died by committing suicide. As per the data, 30% of the 34 deaths by suicide in the CRPF so far this year have been reported in the last 10 days.
A senior CRPF official while speaking to News18 said, ‘It has come to light that most of the suicide cases’ reasons are such as family disputes, marital discord, other personal reasons, illness, etc. Besides these reasons few instances where professional reasons were involved.
As per the official data, four years from 2018 to 2021 has registered a worrying rise in suicides among CRPF jawans.
- In 2018, 36 jawans died by suicide.
- In 2019, 40 jawans died by suicide.
- In 2020, As many as 54 deaths by suicide were recorded in the force.
- In 2021, 57 jawans died by suicide.
- The year 2022 registered a dip in suicides by jawans, but the count still stood at 43.
- From 12th August to 4th September 2023 10 jawans died by suicide.