Congress Working Committee (CWC) meet is crucial on Monday as it will discuss the leadership issue in the context of 23 party leaders seeking organization overhaul
Congress Working Committee (CWC) meeting is crucial on Monday as it will discuss the leadership issue in the context of 23 party leaders, including Kapil Sibal, Shashi Tharoor, Ghulam Nabi Azad, Prithviraj Chavan, Vivek Tankha and Anand Sharma, seeking an overhaul of the organisation and interim chief Sonia Gandhi (73) unwilling to continue and having asked the party to elect a new president.
A look at the likely scenarios:
- CWC is asked to elect a new president as Gandhi refuses to continue as the party’s interim chief.
- Rahul Gandhi refuses to lead the party and asks the leaders to find a non-Gandhi as the Congress president.
- Rahul accepts the demand and takes back his resignation, but seeks a free hand in overhauling the organization, including dissolution of the CWC
- Rahul refuses and the CWC requests Gandhi to stay on until a new president is elected. Also forms a parliamentary board for the day-to-day functioning of the party, as per the demands of leaders, who wrote to Gandhi seeking an overhaul of the organisation
- Both Priyanka and Rahul refuse and the CWC authorizes the senior-most general secretary to officiate as the interim president until internal elections are held and a new chief is elected
- Outpouring of support for the Gandhi’s from many party leaders and those who wrote letters are silenced. Gandhi agrees to stay on as the Congress chief